Over time, the landscape escaped the harsh desert feel. Wintery green began to speckle the heights again. Farmland was visible. It felt more like Wyoming or Montana than the Utah I had tasted. And the word to bind all of this scenery: rugged. Boulders. Steep peaks. Rough edges. Rugged.
I-70 took us through small stretches of straight, and several twists and bends. The gas gauge was evidence that our life had been on the road, and was beckoning for a drink. Exits were scarce, and the ones we did see had a big "no services" sign attached. We scratched our heads wondering if we missed the big allusive sign that reads "Stop NOW for gas. Next station in 1,500 million miles through the desert." This sign does NOT exist ON I-70 in Utah. You have been warned.
I noticed Brian slowing down a bit and enquire why, afraid that I already new the answer. Trying to save some gas was the reply that met my ear. My mind drifted to a news story headlining a family of five stuck in the remotes of Utah, lost for days, because they ran.out.of.gas. Thankfully, they survived off of two huge bags of snacks that were brought along for some bottomless-pit young boys. Alas, I snapped out of that as the few 18-wheelers, RVs, and cars sharing the road with us were in my sight. We weren't going to be stranded, but if we didn't get gas soon, we were going to have a small huge kink in our plan.
Knowing that we were both silently praying, the glory of the Lord shown brightly on that gas pump symbol attached to the next exit sign. It might as well have been a diamond adorning that green piece of metal. It was glorious, beautiful, and relief all wrapped in one. However, there was one problem. Approaching the exit, there were no stations to be found. No structures. Just some road signs, and two directions to go in. The first sign we saw said, "Services, 12 miles." Twelve miles!!! Twelve miles down a two lane road into Nothingness, Utah. T-W-E-L-V-E miles. OK, I'm being over dramatic, but that may be what the front seat sounded like for a few seconds until we saw the next sign. In an almost arrogant, mocking fashion, it proudly proclaimed, "Next services: 35 miles." Brian turned the wheel to the right, and we headed for Emery, Utah, home of Randy's Service Station. Now you know. By the way, it is 12 miles off of the interstate.
I took pictures of the country road we traveled down, my mind again going to the news headline. This time, there was no one around to help if the gauge dipped below the E. Occasionally, we passed another traveling vehicle who probably laughed at us for being in the same situation as them. I was hoping and praying that Randy's was open. I kept that to myself. I laughed out loud when Brian shared that thought with me. We passed fields of cattle. And ranches. Real.life.ranches. There had to be cowboys close by. This country life was intriguing to a city girl. The bustling city of Emery had the smallest post office I've ever seen. And, it was right across the street from Randy's, the one pump service station with $3.79 gasoline! Yippee! We would have paid $25 a gallon at this point. AND, it was open. Super yippee! And, there were three elderly cowboys hanging out on the inside. I could see their hats. I smiled. We were NOT in Tennessee anymore. One cowboy was entering the store. He was not amused with me taking pictures of my surroundings. Brian finished up and as we were pulling off I noticed a sign in the window that read, "Get your 'I ran out of gas' t-shirts here. $15" What the what!!! We should have gotten one. I asked for one. Brian returned a stare and reminded me of the million dollars we just paid for gas...twenty four miles out of the way.
That little road led us back to the interstate. This time, we breathed easier knowing that we were not going to be stranded on the side of the road with vultures eagerly waiting for us to give up. We smiled as we passed other traveling vehicles and RVs seeking the oasis of Randy's. That man is rich, I tell ya. Now you really know.
We bid ado to I-70 by stopping at Exit 1 for some lunch. It ended by turning us over to I-15. No longer winding through mountain passes, we hit the straight road with the view of those beauties beside us.
Might I add, that Brian was stoked about the 80 mph speed limit. Cutting down I-15, we finally arrived at Kohobo Canyons at Zion National Park. This spot was particularly close to our hotel and perfect for a sunset exploration. Just off the interstate, these canyons are hidden behind the beautiful mountains we had been admiring as we approached. With no clue that just one bend in the road would reveal this...
We shared this section of the park with only five other cars. Serene, quiet, and breath taking, we enjoyed yet another evening of bonding in the middle of God's amazing creation.
A small hike was in order, but the "Mountain Lion Warning" sign sent my stress level up just a tad. Brian and I surveyed the situation, read the sign to become schooled in mountain lion defense, and proceeded on. Garrison toted a handful of rocks and a few sticks. After all, the sign said to throw rocks and sticks at the lion if one were to approach. Check. Garrison had that one in the bag. Brody, clung tightly to my hand as we ventured down the trail. Warner, oblivious, was content to be held and roared the whole way. That is apparently how he says "lion."
Much to Garrison's dissatisfaction, we came in contact with no mountain lions to fend off. I felt safe though with his rocks and sticks and made lion fighting skills to protect me.
Dinner was calling, so we took the hungry beasts to fill their bellies. I wanted to go to a new restaurant, but we missed that turn so we ended up at Chili's While waiting on a table, we enjoyed the warm air outside. Across the street was a huge lighthouse with the word 'Providence' attached to it. I mean, this thing was right in front of us. And obviously, in an awkward place in Utah. We took its position to be a yet another simple reminder from God that we were on the right track. In that moment, I was able to express to Brian that my heart strings are beginning to get heavy as our reality is days away.
This trip has been full of excitement, fun, and memories. Bonding most of all. The texts, Facebook messages, and phone calls of encouragement have been beyond amazing and energizing. But reality is about to set in. Simple things like where the grocery store is located and big things like we have no friends, wait right around the corner.
We talked about it, remembered the call, and were called to dinner. Now we concentrated on what to eat and reading the child's activity pages to the boys. We talked about our highs and lows of the day, a dinner time ritual of sorts. Our server was extra sweet to our party of five. She told us of her boys and took much interest in ours. A question about Kindergarten led us to sharing with her about our move. Her reply, "I just moved from Vegas two months ago. I was born and raised there. You all are going to love it!" What are the chances? Our conversation led on to us to telling her WHY we were going. She smiled big and told us how badly Vegas needed Christian churches...especially ones that were family oriented. "There are lots of families with young kids," were the words that left her lips.
This trip has been full of excitement, fun, and memories. Bonding most of all. The texts, Facebook messages, and phone calls of encouragement have been beyond amazing and energizing. But reality is about to set in. Simple things like where the grocery store is located and big things like we have no friends, wait right around the corner.
We talked about it, remembered the call, and were called to dinner. Now we concentrated on what to eat and reading the child's activity pages to the boys. We talked about our highs and lows of the day, a dinner time ritual of sorts. Our server was extra sweet to our party of five. She told us of her boys and took much interest in ours. A question about Kindergarten led us to sharing with her about our move. Her reply, "I just moved from Vegas two months ago. I was born and raised there. You all are going to love it!" What are the chances? Our conversation led on to us to telling her WHY we were going. She smiled big and told us how badly Vegas needed Christian churches...especially ones that were family oriented. "There are lots of families with young kids," were the words that left her lips.
That is my heart.
Her eyes filled with tears when I told her that an hour ago, I sat outside those windows expressing my fear about the future. The Lord used her to whisper that we really are on the right path.
I'm so glad we missed our turn to the other restaurant. Providence perhaps? I'm going to go with YES! From the small detour to Emery and the missed turned for dinner, the Lord is leading this journey...low gas gauge, missed turn, and every single step of the way.


No comments:
Post a Comment