Friday, June 22, 2012

You are Five!

My Dearest Garrison,

At 8:08 tonight, we took a picture together. 
Just you and me.  Five years ago at that very moment you took your first breath and made me a mother.  Your mom.  And our journey began.  I remember the nurse handing you to me, and I was in complete awe of you.  And that the Lord gifted YOU to me.  To me, you were tiny.  To the nurses, you were huge.  I snuggled all 8lbs 11 oz of you and admired every fold of the ear, peach fuzz hair, round cheeks, and teeny tiny finger nails.  You quickly introduced me to what disrupted sleep felt like that first night.  BUT, every ounce of pain and every sleepless hour was so incredibly worth having you here with me. 

Tonight, we held your fifth birthday party.  Those parties having gone from Barnyard fun to Superhero explosion.  Avengers was your choice theme this year.  This has been such an exciting week for you...knowing that your birthday was coming.  "How many more sleeps, Mama, till my birfday?"  You wanted all of the Avengers costumes "with muscles," and were so happy when you opened that box of imagination. 

This morning, you woke to a room full of balloons at four a.m. and made your way to my room.  You excitedly woke me to tell me how happy those balloons made you.  I wished you a happy birthday and squeezed you tight as we drifted back to sleep.  THAT WAS THE BEST MOMENT OF MY DAY. 


I really think you had a perma-grin all day.  Totally excited to be five.  Daddy took you to enjoy a special day with just him.  Back home, you enjoyed your new Superman headphones and the iPad.  We threw you a small family party, but you were just too excited to eat!  We suprised you with a few of your friends stopping by to enjoy cake and ice cream.  And Daddy told you and Brody a special birthday story as you went to bed. 
As for Me, I observed you today.  You are my first born.  My head spun as I grasped at the thought that you really are five.  We travel this road of the unknown together.  You are blazing a trail, and I am trying desperately to be your guide.  You are a perfectionist.  Tender hearted.  Strong willed.  You like the familiar.  You are innocent in so many ways.  I realized that my big guy really is becoming a big guy.
I love you Super G.  Your smile never ceases to brighten my day.  I pray that your heart will beat for the Lord.  That you will be brave and courageous.  That you will have a humble confidence and know your Lord, your calling, and your place in this world.
I love you to the moon and back,
Mama  

1 comment: