Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Filling the Role

Of big brother....

I am not the oldest in my sibling line.  Middle child for sure.  Nope, I'm not gonna start rambling on and on about my less than desirable placement of birth order.  ...

Brian is the oldest in his.

I have observed my eldest for the past five year...almost...come Friday.  I imagine his role is difficult in so many ways.  He lives in a house with parents who work full time jobs (well, one who works full time 10 months out of the year) and two little brothers.  One a baby.  One a preschooler.  Life in our home is BUSY and chaotic on most days.  He got ALL of the attention for the first 21 months of his life.  I mean ALL of the attention from everyone.  Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles.  ALL of it!  Then his cousin was born, followed by Brody five months later.  Now, that attention quickly became divided.  And, he has worked hard to maintain attention ever since then. 


He is the oldest.  Ultimately paving the way with each new stage and age for Brian and me in this journey known as parenthood.  This kid is paving the way for his siblings and cousins to follow too.  What an amazingly difficult role to fill...especially now that you are sharing the lime light with two brothers and two cousins.  In his five years of life, our family has quintupled. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I am all about responsibilty and respect!  But, I am also aware of the birth order role that he has been given.  Admittingly so, I am more hard on him.  Because I have such high expectations for him and his character in life.  I am walking partially blind into each new stage and age with him.  I often wonder if I am making the right choices for him.  Giving him enough attention.  Teaching him enough.  Disciplining him effectively. 

I do not want to squelch his individuality.  I do not want to harness his spirit. 

He definitely has his moments.  Too many of them, too often.  He apparently feels he needs to be Brody's boss.  But, he hates not being with his brother.  He wants to have Brody with him at all times.  Even if he does throw his fair share of punches.  Last week, both boys went to two different day camps.  When GL got in the car with Brian, the first thing he said was, "I wonder how Brody did at day camp today?"  They irritate one another, but love each other so.

Precious!  GL brought this home from Preschool this year!

Playing a rousing game of checkers at Mammoth Cave!



He is very protective of Warner.  When I need something for Warner, GL will run and get it.  He wants to hold him.  Snuggle him.  Play with him.  Lay with him.  When Warner cries, he will run to comfort him and give him his paci.  On Sunday, Warner was crying in his crib.  GL stopped working his puzzle and ran in there.  It got quiet, but he didn't return.  Brian went in to check, and sure enough he was laying in the crib with Warner.  Both happy as a lark.   


No comments:

Post a Comment