Our garden has grown.
Green leafy stems abound everywhere.
Brian picked a bunch of spinach today. I blanched some (never done that before) and froze it this morning. I'm washing some to store in the fridge for the week. And, I'm giving some away (if you want it let me know.)
Speaking of which, we have put absolutely nothing on our veggies. We just bought some good ole soil and planted the seeds. I'm feeling good about this gardening thing.
Maybe it's in my genes.
Growing up, I remember watching my grandparents spend HOURS gardening and tending to the soil. Early risers, they would eat a homemade {amazing} breakfast, Pappaw would done his overalls and Nanny her visor, and off they went to tend to the field. They had BIG gardens too. Yes, gardens. Plural. More than one. I am more amazed than ever at the time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears (I really don't think there were tears but it sounds good, right?!) that went into their gardening. I loved going to her deep freezer during the winter months as a newlywed and retrieving the goodness of their gardening to make my dinners taste a little better.
Nanny gardened right up until we discovered she had cancer. I'm sure that being out in the early morning sun in that big field of rich soil was where she found peace. It had to have been her calming place. It is where she was gifted. It is what she loved. I know she'd be so proud to see me now!
No comments:
Post a Comment