Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sickness and Penicillin Allergy

Right before Warner was born, GL came down with a nasty cough, congestion, yucky funk.  We gave lots of meds and hoped for the best.  Brody just had a clear runny nose, so we did the same.  Warner was born on a Wednesday and by Saturday morning, GL was in horrible shape.  He was screaming crying and holding his ear.  So, Brian took him to the doctor to find out that he had a double ear infection.  So, Amoxicillin was prescribed and we were on to recovery.  Brody ended up going to see the doctor the Monday after and was diagnosed with a double ear infection and sinusitis.  Yippee!  So, he got his own Amoxicillin.  By the next Monday, GL was on his last dosage when he stared itching.  Home alone, I decided maybe I should bathe my children.  As GL got undressed, I became horrified by the spots ALL OVER his body.  Chicken Pox?  No, these were more like welts everywhere.  I called a friend who suggested that it was a reaction to the Amoxicillin.  A call into the doctor and we would find our way BACK  to the doctor for the 4th time in two weeks!  What?!  We hardly go to the doctor four times a year.  They just wanted to look at him to see if it was a reaction the medicine or something else.  One look confirmed that he needs to never have Penicillin again.  That was on Monday, February 13th.  It is almost a full week later and I think we FINALLY have it under control.  Bless his heart, it has been miserable on him.  Itchy welts on a sensitive four year old is definitely NO FUN.  Aunt Amanda even talked with an emergency room doctor who suggested that we also give him Pepcid along with his Benadryl.  That is what finally knocked it out of him!  Yay for peeps in the medical profession!

No comments:

Post a Comment