Monday, December 31, 2012

Reflections of a Year Gone By

No matter how much we would like for it to pause and slow down, that calendar just keeps turning.  The odometer flips the digit in the ones place to signify out with the old, in with the new. 

When you are a child, the days drag on forever.  This is especially true if you are anticipating upcoming events like Christmas, your birthday, or a trip.  I remember it seeming like a bagillion (translation: toooo many) days to get to any of the afore mentioned.  However, when you have children of your own, you say things like "I can't believe it is already______________" or "Time goes by way too fast."  or  "Where did the time go?"  or other phrases that only "old people" used to say in the days of youth.  Now, I sport those phrases all too often it seems.

As I close out 2012, I realize just how much time is speeding up.  I have a five year old who will be going to Kindergarten in the fall.  What?  I have a three year old who thinks he is bigger than he really is.  And I have a baby who is about to no longer be considered a 'baby' but a toddler as he turns one in just over a month.  I have gray hairs and stupid veins in my legs.  I really should be breaking out the wrinkle cream to help prevent or prolong the days till their unwelcomed arrival. 



In reflection, Life and Death are two words that would describe 2012 for me...

On February 1st, Warner Jude burst the corners of my heart.  To witness his little life has been a delight, a privilege, and a blessing straight from Heaven.  Having a third child threw me more of a curve ball than I expected.  Honestly, I thought I would handle an even fuller quiver just fine since I felt like a slight pro at this parenting thing.  But, we are outnumbered.  Four arms and three kids don't always work out so well.  Our 'bounce-back-and-adjust-to-the-new-normal' time period has taken a bit longer this go around.  With that said, Warner's easy going spirit and melt-your-heart eyes far outweigh the challenge of toting around three little kids.   



On September 15th, I lost my Grandma.  She was 88 years old, and I rejoiced at her home-going.  Life on Earth is harsh.  We live in a fallen world full of the paradox of love and hurt.  Grandma was the definition of 'girly.'  She loved all things pretty.  Growing up, I admired her manicured nails and layers of beautiful jewelry.  A fond memory I have was at the beach when I was little.  I was busy digging for sea shells as she looked on.  The tide was coming in and the surf was beginning to surround where we were sitting.  I found the most beautiful pink sea shell, as I tugged at it, she giggled.  It was her polished toe nail buried just below the surface of the wet sand.  She was a mean cook too.  I would give anything for a bowl of her chili right now!  She made simple things like bananas and cream seem out of this world. 

I walk in her footsteps as I have three boys just like she did.  Three boys!!!  No wonder she got her nails polished and doned the jewelry.  She needed a break from the testosterone craze residing at 8111 Angie Drive.  She loved my boys and always delighted in seeing them.  I remember visiting her on the day of tornados last spring.  I had all three boys and our visit had to be cut short as I did not know that the weather was going to get so severe so fast.  She was cute as she exclaimed that they probably had a basement at the nursing home that we could all go in to.  I always wanted to visit her more than I actually got to.  However, life is busy, exhausting, and just plain not fair.  But now, my Grandma gets to walk on streets of gold and live like she never ever could have on this Earth. 

Grandma, Warner, and GL

Firsts this year:
  • Garrison played t-ball
  • Brody started preschool
  • Warner's whole arsenal of firsts: smile, laugh, tooth, sitting, crawling, pulling up
  • Brian is a doctoral student
Mosley travels:
  • Gatlinburg to go tubing
  • Mammoth Cave in Kentucky
  • Cincinnatti, OH to Aunt Katie's house
  • Gulf Shores, AL for Fall Break

So, as we wave goodbye to 2012, I look forward to what 2013 has in store for us.  We will have a 1, 4, and 6 year old residing in our home.  Kindergarten.  12 years of marriage.  And, hopefully many more memories made, adventures explored, and risks taken.

2013, ready or not, here come the Mosleys...

“This is what the LORD says— he who made a way through the sea, a path through the mighty waters, “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:16, 18-19



1 comment: