Friday, July 20, 2012

Southern Friends from the Midwest

Seven summers ago, I attended a DIBELS training.  All the teachers in the room are saying a big fat BOOOOOOOOO!  {smiles}  My shy self went out on a limb and struck up a conversation with the girl sitting at my table.  Annie and I became fast friends.  I talked her ear off as I do when I'm nervous.  She and her hubby had just moved here from Chicago and lived five minutes away from me in good ole Soddy Daisy.  Fast forward.  She witnessed me lose my first baby and celebrated with me when I got pregnant with Garrison.  Before long, she too became pregnant but experienced her own heart ache with an ectopic pregnancy.  Brian visited them at the hospital.  I could not fathom the thought of me going with my very pregnant belly.  My heart broke. 

Annie and Justin then moved to Atlanta and back to their home state of Iowa.  The Lord showed Himself faithful and has blessed them with two gorgeous girls, Claire and Emma.  They just moved back to Atlanta and made the quick trip to Chattanooga to play with us at the Creative Discovery Museum. 


These girls love babies...even real ones.
I relished in watching her girls.  They are so cute and girly.  Adorable little denim skirts and long locks.  Claire wanted to play house and Garrison be the Daddy.  Poor guy, he had never heard of this concept before and promptly declined the offer.  The disadvantage of not having a sister.  I used to make Chad play the Daddy all of the time.  Of course, I reciprocated by playing GI Joes and baseball! 


BUT, he was all about Claire digging in the sand with him! 

Dr. Brody and Dr. Claire.
It was funny as we crammed a stroller and six chairs around a cramped table in the small cafe at the museum.  I watched our kids play.  I remembered our heart ache.  Our fear that we would never be mothers.  The oceans of tears we cried.  And I found us surrounded by kiddo chaos:  Multiple potty breaks.  Tears. Climbing on displays.  Using floor cushions as shields and weapons.  Throwing sand. and lots and lots of giggles.  AND, it was sweet and special.

Thank you Lord for the miracle of LIFE and seeing my dear friend in her beautiful girls.



Emma!  Isn't she a doll?
 

Cutie Pie Claire!
 Welcome back to the South Y'all.  Thanks for playing with us.  We can't wait to do it again!!!!! (yep, check out all those exclamation marks...hehe)



*All photos shamefully taken from Annie's blog!  I have a few on my camera...I'll post them soon!
    

1 comment:

  1. The tears are freely flowing! Thanks for this post, Ashley. God has been so faithful to us and I love looking back on all we have been through together. You are such an amazing mama and I'm so happy we get to see each other more often now. Love you, dear friend!!

    ReplyDelete