Monday, February 17, 2014

From July to February, A Lot Happened inbetween

At first thought, I am deeply ashamed that my last post was in July. Sunny, warm, swimwear clad pictures. But, in all honesty, I did write a post or two. BUT, our laptop is a piece of work. I got mad and just threw my hands up over it a couple of times. Now, I'm working from the one good PC that we have left. We'll see how long this lasts.

I'm going to save the illustrious past 6 month catch up for another post. You're welcome. :) Those July photos of two boys sitting in the warm hot July sun, laughing over the joys of ice pops, are now being replaced by snowsuits, snotty noses, and sleds! We have been praying for snow all season. Not just some minor dusting of a snow either. Our prayer has been specific with the selfish request of a snow that "covers the whole ground."

Weather forecasts indicated that we would receive 3-5". I'll take that. Better yet, the forecast was set for February 12...my birthday. Happy 33 years to me. I was convinced that God had orchestrated this, in some small way, for me. The weather-loving, snow-loving, Tennessee girl that I am. Anyone who knows me well, knows that rainy does do not drain me. For some odd reason, any change in weather excites me. There is one exception. I have never been excited over brutally hot summer days where the high temperature is the news topic. Drum roll please... AND I'm moving to an area of the country where the 121 degree high temps are just.that. I digress. So, I totally felt like in part, this snow was a great big birthday gift for me. Wrapped in love by God and a big ole southern bow slapped on top. I even felt like we would get more than the 3-5" forecasted.

I was elated when I received the call from the Hamilton County Department of Education on Tuesday afternoon declaring the next day a "snow day". School was CLOSED for my birthday. That first step checked off the "it's gonna snow" list. Now to wait. Watch those weather forecasts and wait. Wednesday morning, I woke up to a quiet house. Settled in to watch the weather with a cup of coffee. The freezing rain was moving in. My excitement brewing. My handsome husband woke early too. At 6:30 he left the house to qet me a healthy chicken biscuit and the milk I requested "just in case."
***Side note, the South has been getting hit hard lately with the joke that we run out to get milk and bread when it threatens to snow. However, our family of three boys goes through A LOT of both. No microwave, stove, or oven needed. PB&Js and cereal. It's whats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if the power goes out. Ice was overtaking the porch and yard once Brian returned with that golden Hardees bag and cartons of milk. He came out of the cold with yellow tulips, a cake, and two candles, both 3s for an impromptu birthday celebration at home since we were clearly going to be stuck here for days! Love my man! As the day progressed, the weather did a rollercoaster of sorts. As did my emotions. That giddy school girl turned into a pouting one as I watch the ice turn to snow to nothing to rain to snow again. At one point, I could see tiny evidence of accumulation...after squinting and checking on it every five minutes. Pathetic I tell you. Then it MELTED!!! And, it rained.
Instead of a birthday party, I threw a pity party. After a little pep talk with myself, I decided that I had to shift my focus. Maybe this day was given to me as a day to pack. We did have to be out of the house a measly 12 days later. So, packing I did. All the while, I watched it switch back and forth between rain and snow. And my green/brown winter grass lay bare. But, my attitude had changed. The meteorologists were still calling for 3-5". I packed boxes.

A sea of cardboard and a kitchen halfway mastered called for a nap. That 30 minutes of rest with the blinds closed was met with exhilaration when I opened those dusty window coverings. The road was covered. Covered! Big cotton balls falling from the sky. Piling high on the grass in matter of minutes. My five year old self reappeared. Maybe, just maybe, it would accumulate. Maybe, just maybe, this was a gift for me. On my day. But not on my time.  

Just.like.the.Lord.has.been.teaching.me.for.months.now.

We bundled up (that is a treat with small kids. argh) and headed out into the dusk filled sky. My absolute FAVORITE sky of all time. Dark gray, snow filled, peaceful. We threw snowballs, wrestled, made snow angels, and built our very own Olaf snowman, complete with carrot nose. This snow was wet and icy. Perfect for all of our snow playing pleasure. My heart was overcome with Mommy excitement when Garrison refused to come inside and played well into the dark creating his own snow masterpieces.


We enjoyed a warm meal for my birthday and that cake and ice cream from the morning rush. For we were STUCK at our house! My heart was full. Over dinner, I shared my day's reflection with Brian. The Lord can use anything to teach us valuable, life lessons.
My lesson was this: Hindsight is 20 to 20. If I had chosen to pout ALL day over no snow, I would have completely wasted a special day. I knew that I had to shift my focus and embrace the given situation. Doing that earlier in the day helped me move past the upset of what I thought should have been. I had to decide in my heart and mind that it was okay for it not to turn out like I had hoped. My heart felt better once I decided not to simmer in my sadness. God will show up when all seems grim. Obviously not in our timing. But, it has been said a time or two that He is an on-time God. And, I am reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann VosKamp right now. My heart is stirred about giving thanks even in situations that don't turn out like they are promised or how you would perceived they would. Could I have given thanks for that day even if inches of snow were not gracing my backyard. Even if the meteorologists had gotten it completely wrong. Even if my hopes were shattered in a million heartbroken pieces. Yes, this reflections stems completely off of the snow that wasn't but then was. But, I'm applying it to my everyday life. As the subtitle to Voskamp's book reads can I "Dare to LIVE FULLY right where I am"?


The next morning, I heard the boys open their blinds, then the sound of their running feet met me with squeals of delight.  Garrison said, "God answered our prayer, the snow covered the whole ground!"  Yes He did G, yes He did!  Thank you, Lord, for this beautiful gift on a February morning!

Oh yeah, and we got MORE than the 3-5" forecasted!  More like 8-9"!  Score!  

No comments:

Post a Comment